Is Your Business Falling Into Any of These Copywriting Traps?
At ASTRALCOM, content marketing is in our DNA. To put out compelling content and tell strong stories, solid copywriting is essential. An expert panel of communications executives recently listed 16 of their most irksome copywriting issues. Here are a few of my favorites from their list to be on the lookout for:
- Don’t just write for everybody. “General audience” copy is bound to fall into the one-size-fits-nobody category. These days, authenticity and adopting a point of view go hand in hand. That means your writing may not please absolutely everyone. Controversy is in the air these days – don’t fear it. Instead, avoid being boring!
- Watch out for jargon. This one is important for business owners, especially. If you’re proud of your product or service, you’re likely to slip in a few insider nuggets. However, doing so is a turn-off for people who are excluded by specialty language. Assume you’re writing to an intelligent audience – but cut them some slack when you’re tempted to get into the weeds of what makes you stand out in your industry.
- Don’t assume anything! This is especially the case when you’re making contact with new audiences. Maintain an even, informational quality of writing that avoids overexplaining but introduces critical messaging to help customers understand your value. Being inclusive is a must.
- Don’t hide the sale. It happens all too often that the sales and marketing teams circumvent their central ask. Sure, you want to paint a vivid picture of the benefits and core value adds of your offering. However, without a strong call to action, your marketing campaign is unlikely to produce any tangible outcomes.
- Avoid fluffing up your central message. Overcomplicated copy is likely to confuse your customer rather than inform them. Cut to the chase – and resist the temptation of saying absolutely everything all at once. Pace yourself – engaged customers will respond positively to the right blend of flavor, information, and value.
If you’re looking for ways to boost your content marketing efforts, make ASTRALCOM your partner. Reach out to learn more about our expertise.