How and Why to Play Nice with Online Reviewers
There is no question that reviews are a powerful way of communicating online. Let’s face it – most of us would rather not be the first person to try out a new restaurant or shop. Most consumers want to know ahead of time that they can trust a business, that it has been well-liked by previous customers.
I find these five statistics to be an interesting measure of the impact reviews can have on a company’s SEO. These are relevant to both local businesses and to online shops that are seeking to grow their reach and increase credibility.
1. Did you know that in the last year, 90% of consumers relied on the internet to find a local business? The most direct way to respond to this overwhelming surge of online reliance is for businesses to have a search marketing strategy and search visibility strategy that elevates local SEO. Taking control of your Google My Business account or your brand’s visibility online, in general, is a good first step.
2. 82% of consumers say that they read online reviews. And yet – many businesses aren’t reviewing their reviews, which means they are missing out on a valuable feedback loop with their customers. Looking at what people say is a good way to formulate a plan of action.
3. The average customer reads 10 reviews before making the decision to trust a company. Keep in mind that people are more likely to leave a review in the wake of a negative experience than they are to review a happy experience. This means that businesses need to be proactive and ask your best customers to leave you reviews – and make it simple or attractive for them to do so.
4. Only 54% of customers say they would consider transacting with a company with fewer than four stars. If you make it easy for good customers to leave good reviews, you can ensure that your star status will stay high.
5. Finally, 94% of readers will actually read the response written by the business. People want to see business owners show their ability to manage the situation – to take the higher ground and apologize for the experience, even when a reviewer is clearly trolling or in the wrong. By responding directly to a review, you get to control the conversation and can avoid assigning blame.
If you’re looking for ways to boost your local SEO presence and express a strong, generous tone, ASTRALCOM can help with comprehensive content marketing services. Get in touch today.